Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bloomin' Tuesday

Click the Title above to locate other Bloomin' Tuesday gardens.

One of the reasons I love spending time in the garden, is that it is always changing, evolving into the next and over time the garden comes into its own. Just when I feel, wow, this is beautiful the garden makes an adjustment and something new catches my attention.


Over the first few years here in Phoenix, I have spent a good amount of time waiting and watching as plants that I am not familiar with catch my attention and wow me to the core.


Today in my AZ garden the Blue Palo Verde (Cercidium floridum), Arizona's state tree, is in bloom along with the Palo Brea and the Creosote Bush.



The picture above is the Blue Palo Verde, meaing green stick. Notice the trunk and branches are green. They are used for photothinsis as during low water seasons the small leafs and thin branches are dropped to conserve water.





Ah, my Palo Brea...I thought something might be wrong with this beautiful tree however, the display of spring flowers are showing no sign of struggle. The mass of pink flowers is Mexican Primrose (Oenothera speciosa), and the bush to the left forefront is a Creosote Bush. If you attend any of the desert garden walks, there is always a wealth of information communicated regarding this native and useful bush. Most notably is its fragrance, crush a few leafs in the palm of your hand or wait for a shower and it smells like a desert rain. And, when rain becomes a luxury to smell and feel the Creosote is prized companion in the garden.

8 comments:

  1. I love those trees. Especially the Palo Brea! They have amazing structure and always look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Palo verdes really say Arizona! I love the color they are displaying for spring. What an interesting scent for the Creosote Bush. The smell of rain? I lived out there as a child for a few years and I remember the lack of precipitation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful trees and shrubs! A lovely combination. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! Love the tree and the shrubs beneath it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey neighbor (I am in Tucson), wonderful photos of your garden.

    HBT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tree is beautiful and the pink flowers make both of them just pop!
    Thanks for the share, Paula in Idaho

    ReplyDelete