Monday, April 6, 2009

A Little Composted Mulch Does Your Vege Garden Good

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that the top two inches of soil in the vegetable garden quickly dries out and heats up and it isn't even hot yet. To help regulate the soil moisture and soil temperature I applied about an inch to two inches of composted mulch throughout the garden paying particular attention to root areas around individual plants. The plants are doing very well. I think this tomato grow about a foot within a week after mulching.



Look how big the tomatoes are getting...



The pepper plants are growing quite nicely and some of the flowers have beared fruit.





A few posts back, I commented on my garlic being ready in March...I have been corrected. I understand the garlic should be ready in May. Also, I have read that the sign that garlic is ready to harvest is in the green tops. When the green tops have turned brown then the garlic is ready.

How to store the garlic - Do not store garlic in the soil it will dry out. Do not store garlic in the refrigerator there is too much moisture. A nice presentation for storage is to braid the garlic. Both soft and hard neck garlic can be braided. http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/Misc/braiding-garlic/index.html

I have added a couple of globe artichoke to the garlic garden. Since then, I have seen how large the artichoke plants will get!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! I'm doing veggies for the first time and am amazed at how well they are doing! The tomato plants are up to my waist and loaded with tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete